There are four sections in this course:
The goal of the core-training curriculum is to provide basic foundational knowledge and introduction to the direct care profession. Individuals must complete the Core training before taking any additional courses in the Prepare to Care: Iowa’s Direct Care and Support Curriculum. This Core training curriculum has six units and this is the first unit of the Core curriculum. Unit 1 focuses on professionalism for direct care professionals. There are learning activities, list of resources, and quiz at the end of this Unit. The learning activities will provide you with an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills presented in the course.
There are review questions at the end of each section. These review questions will provide you with an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills presented in these sections. There is a post-test at the end of the course.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded on successful completion of this course.
The intended audience for this course is direct care professionals
Upon completion of this part, you will be able to:
- Define direct care professional (DCP)
- Define terms related to this unit
- Discuss settings and populations in which direct care professionals work
- Discuss the types and levels of assistance that may be provided to.
- Discuss professional behavior and Code of Ethics for the DCP.
- Discuss Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Explain Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Apply guidelines for protecting the client’s confidentiality
- Explain how the DCP can maintain interpersonal, physical, and professional boundaries with person served
- Discuss the concept of role strain and how to handle when conflicting roles emerge while providing supports
- Identify professional boundaries in their role while providing support
- Identify attributes for success in their profession
Analytical/Assessment Skills, Communication Skills, Community Dimensions of Practice Skills, Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
Marcia Driscoll, RN
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
October 31, 2012