There are three modules in this
1: Assessment and Intervention in the Immediate Aftermath of a Disaster
2: Assessment and Intervention in the Weeks/Months after the Disaster
3: Cultural Awareness
There are review questions at
the end of each module. These review questions will provide you with an
opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills presented in these modules. In
addition, some modules contain practice exercises to help you better understand
Anyone who will come into professional contact with disaster
victims, including DMAT, hospital workers, EMTs, primary care providers and
public health workers
Upon completing this course, you will be able
- Assess the psycho-physiological impact of trauma.
- Describe mental health interventions used during and in
the immediate aftermath of a disaster in order to provide psychological
- Determine who may benefit from mental health intervention.
- Administer mental health interventions to disaster victims
- Distinguish between a normal and pathological reaction to
- Describe the most common mental health disorders
associated with disaster trauma.
- Establish a preliminary assessment for the most common
mental health disorders.
- Employ an interview technique that is both effective and
responsive to the needs of the patient.
- Discuss treatment options for these mental health
- Identify the role of cultural elements in addressing
mental health problems.
- Utilize appropriate methods for interacting with
culturally diverse populations in the context of a disaster response.
Effect of Disasters on Mental Health: Awareness Level
Core Competencies for Public Health
Domain 4: Cultural Competency Skills
- 4A3. Describes the ways diversity may influence policies,
programs, services, and the health of a community
- 4A5. Addresses the diversity of individuals and populations when implementing
policies, programs, and services that affect the health of a community
Presenter(s) and/or Content
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
May 24, 2013