The Public Information Officer Awareness Course (IS0029) is designed to familiarize participants with the concepts underlying the PIO role. This course can provide a basic understanding of the PIO function for those new to the position. Additionally, it can provide those in executive level roles the necessary knowledge of PIO roles and responsibilities during an emergency.
- Define emergency public information and the importance of being proactive. (Unit 1)
- Describe the role and functions of the PIO. (Unit 2)
- Describe the types of written products used in public information activities. (Unit 3)
- Recall preparation techniques that contribute to a successful media interview. (Unit 3)
- List the steps of the 8-Step Model for Strategic Communications. (Unit 4)
- Given a scenario, apply the 8-Step Model to a public awareness campaign. (Unit 4)
- Apply public information techniques to a 5% scenario. (Unit 5)
This course is designed for new or less experienced state, local, tribal and territorial PIOs or those who have this role as a secondary function.
The participant will benefit from participating in entry-level incident command system training prior to taking this course.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
Register a free account