The goal of this course is to provide an interactive learning experience about about a 85-year-old woman, Margaret Andersen, with limited communication who demonstrates changes in behavior two weeks after entering a nursing care facility.
The intended audience for this course is public health professionals, pre-licensure students in the fields of medicine, dentistry, nursing, physical and occupational therapy, pharmacy, and social services.
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Apply valid and reliable tools for pain assessment in an older adult with limited communication.
- Describe the important elements of oral health and dental examination in an older adult with limited communication.
- Create a treatment plan for an older adult with dental/oral pain with limited communication and memory.
Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals
Domain 4: Cultural Competency Skills
4A1.Describes the concept of diversity as it applies to individuals and populations (e.g., language, culture, values, socioeconomic status, geography, education, race, gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, profession, religious affiliation, mental and physical abilities, historical experiences).
Competencies for Pain Management
Domain Two: Pain Assessment and Measurement
- Use valid and reliable tools for measuring pain and associated symptoms to assess and reassess related outcomes as appropriate for the clinical context and population.
Domain Three: Management of Pain
- Identify pain treatment options that can be accessed in a comprehensive pain management plan.
Domain Four: Clinical Conditions
- Describe the unique pain assessment and management needs of special populations.
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
- Keela Herr, PhD, RN, AGSF, FGSA, FAAN
- Kathleen Sluka, PhD, PT
- Dana Dailey, PhD, PT (Lead)
- Linda Hand, PhD
- Valerie Keffala, PhD
- Barbara St. Marie, PhD, ANP, GNP
- Sara Sanders, PhD, MSW
- John Swegle, PharmD
- Nicola Jane Stickney, DNP, ARNP, NP-C
- Chen Xi, DDS, PhD
- Carol Gorney, MPAS
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update